Monday, May 24, 2010

ID bracelet

I had to include this story because Matt and I have been laughing about it all weekend!!
On Saturday, Matt decided to take The Boys to doggie daycare so we could go to our childbirth class and they could get some much needed exercise and socialization with their friends. The place closes at 5pm so Matt got there about 4:45 so they could maximize their time there. He text me when they got to the car to tell me the dogs were really tired and to get some cold water ready because they were going to need it. They finally made it home and Barley instantly ran into the kitchen where I was waiting with fresh cold water and I took off his harness. As Cooper came into the kitchen, he didn't head straight for the water (which would be very Coop like) but kinda ran around sniffing- I went to take his harness off and jumped back in shock- yelling at Matt "This isn't Cooper!" He insisted it was, and I told him no way- he didn't have the little gray on his feet, he didn't have the one white hair on his side, it wasn't his same face (though close), and he walked a little differently. Matt still thought I was losing my mind so he tried to call him- dog didn't respond. Now, this was a very nice and handsome dog, but it wasn't our dog. Barley was no help at all- he acted like we were just bringing him a new playmate for the night- a slumber party with his friend. Matt finally agreed to drive this false Cooper back to doggie daycare, hoping someone would still be around and if he knocked on the doors enough, maybe someone would answer (since they were now closed). I started calling, and 5 times got the voicemail. I was in a little bit of a panic- did they send Coop home with another family? Was he going to have to stay the night at doggie daycare and wonder what he did to deserve this? Luckily, Matt was also calling and one of the staff picked up. They were mortified but Matt may have been more embarrassed- he didn't even recognize his own dog. The one who sleeps in our bed, who Matt adores. The exchange took place, Angus (as we came to learn was his name) stayed at doggie daycare (though he may have really enjoyed the extra car-ride that came with his boarding) Coop made it home Saturday night and we haven't stopped laughing! I only laughed because a remedy came so quickly. And because it happened to Matt and not me. Luckily, Matt is also a good sport and he thinks it is pretty funny as well. Cooper forgave him instantly (dogs are the best). We joke that Peanut will need an ID bracelet so if she is ever at daycare or school and Matt needs to pick her up, he brings home the right kid!

3 comments:

Amy said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! This is awesome! I bet Matt will never hear the end of it, nor should he. Made my day!

Brian Crawford said...

That is great... all I can say is thank God it wasn't me!

Skoot said...

Good thing you were in town!!! I could see matt keeping Angus for a week or two until you got back. All the while thinking "Cooper" was acting a bit weird for some reason!!!