Saturday, January 9, 2010

Beer gut

Yes, I know I am supposed to gain weight being pregnant. It's the one time in life when you are considered "cute" when you gain weight and get a tummy pooch. It is still a little unnerving. My body has a mind of its own- I get weird pains, nausea over food I previously loved, headaches, and now a muffin top and little beer gut. Ick. Clothes don't fit right and no one really knows you're pregnant yet- they just think you've gone on a binge of nachos and pitchers. (I read somewhere that one girl described it as looking like a chesty hussy with a beer gut!) My normal clothes aren't very flattering, but it is way too early for maternity wear. It is just time for loose fitting tops or dresses. I can't wait for the obvious baby bump so it is seems more real-and these extra pounds feel like they are for a purpose.
I'm not really complaining. Yes, I wanted this badly. I'm just saying no one really prepares you for the fact you don't feel like your body is your own, it doesn't respond the way you're used to, it doesn't look or feel like your body. Maybe I'm just grouchy because it is -20 here in KC, or because I've been reading several pregnancy books and it is amazing how many of them talk about "how to still be hot and pregnant". Really? I feel like I've already failed and I'm only at 10.5 weeks! Whew.
On a much more positive note: we met our new OB this week. I liked her immediately. She is pretty close to my age, she said she was also AMA (advanced maternal age), and she is thorough, nice, and positive. She knows what I've been through and is very knowledgeable about the IVF process (I've heard that she too went through IVF to have her baby). The way their practice is set up, they each deliver their own patients babies through the week, and only do on-call for the weekends. She is very open to natural childbirth and said most of the nurses at the hospital (across the street from her office and just 10 min or so from our house) are also very knowledgeable and supportive of natural. Matt went to the appointment as well and we were so excited that we got another sonogram (the regular, on top of the belly kind!). There was the peanut (looking a lot more like a gummy bear), flailing arms and legs all around. Yay!
I go back in early February and will probably do the much anticipated sonogram (boy/girl) in late Feb or early March.
We've decided to find out the sex. It was definitely a discussion that we both went back and forth on, but ultimately decided that since it took almost 2 years- just being pregnant was a big surprise and no matter when you find out the sex, it is truly a surprise. We wanted the extra time to feel like we were getting to know this baby- give it an identity, start narrowing down names (which could be a real chore for Matt and I)! It is a very personal choice, to find out the sex or not, but for us, it is the right decision.
Can't wait for all the next exciting steps, even if I do feel bloated- I'll just have to find more ways to slip "oh, I'm pregnant" into normal conversations!

3 comments:

Katie said...

So excited for you, Holly! Don't worry, you will have a true "baby bump" before you know it!

Emilie M said...

Love your openness on your blog. Brings back pregnancy memories from long ago.

Tom, Christie, and Shannon Malchow said...

Holly,

Always glad to hear your updates! It's fun to hear your stories since I'm living them too! The clothes thing...only gets worse! Fortunately, maternity clothes these days are pretty cute. The Gap has some cute maternity stuff & while it isn't the most economic choice, A Pea in the Pod has some cute & fun clothes (including maternity Seven For Mankind jeans!).