Friday, August 21, 2009

Friday embryo report

FLC (fertility labs of Colorado- the lab at CCRM) told me they'd call in the morning. So, at 11:45am KC time, I got the call. This time Karlynn, another embryologist, called- she had a lot more personality, though her obvious strength is her intelligence! She told me that on Day 3, they are looking for the embryos to have 6-10 cells.
Out of the 14 fertilized eggs, we have: 1 with five cells (poor performer, probably gonna be a low achiever- not the embryo that will eventually get a college scholarship),
3 with six cells (ok, so they are barely eeking by. These are the embryos that ask "so, what's the minimum expectation? ok, I'll do that". Not at the top of the class, but definitely still hanging in there... I think I can... I think I can...)
1 with seven cells- however this embryo has 30% fragmentation (what's fragmentation? I had to ask as well- it means they are putting off a lot of debris when they are dividing- so they are little messy embryos and probably shedding some important stuff- not high hopes for this little one)
5 with eight cells (nice job little embryos)
3 with nine cells (ooh... even better... could you be our academic scholarship children?)
1 with twelve cells (ok, show off- are you trying to make your siblings look bad?! Now this is our Stanford baby- probably a girl!)
So that's our Day 3 report. Basically, we have 12 out of 14 embryos that are meeting expectations. We are excited for the news, but also cautious- we know that typically the time between Day 3 and 6 a lot of embryos expire- they just don't divide properly. So, we are anxiously waiting for the Monday report.... keeping our fingers crossed (and I'm still wearing my good luck fertility bracelet from Jenny!)

1 comment:

Brian Crawford said...

So glad to hear that the process is going well (except for giving up caffeine -- that sounds awful)... I have my fingers crossed for you!