Monday, August 3, 2009

Denver

You know how when you get a new car, then suddenly you see that model EVERYWHERE?! That's how I feel about the whole baby situation. I want one desperately, and am going to extreme measures to have one, and all I see are pregnant women! So many people announcing their pregnancies lately too... "oh my gosh... we weren't even trying.... our first isn't even 1 yet and here we go again!" Precious. Really.
So that may be the meds talking. I've been told they can make someone extremely irritable. Really?! Haven't noticed (this may be a good time for Matt to add that he HAS noticed!). I guess that's what you get when you inject massive doses of hormones into your abdomen at 7am every morning. I add 3 more to the routine on Thursday. Oh lucky me. Other side effects listed as common: nausea, headaches, mood swings, hunger, weight gain, susceptibility to infections and heart problems (those last 2 from massive doses of corticosteroids), hot flashes, confusion, fatigue, abdominal pain (no kidding- 4 injections a day in the stomach!), and breast enlargement (no there's one to be excited about). Oh, all for a good cause! It will all be worth it and some day I will just laugh about this whole experience. Not yet, but some day.
I leave for Denver on Monday the 10th. I will take Cooper to Mom and Dave's house (he is going to love staying at Grandma's for 2 weeks- he'll be so spoiled!) and Barley is coming with me to Denver. He is a little too naughty to stay with Grandma and Grandpa. I will get to Denver on the late afternoon/eve of the 11th and Matt will join me that Saturday. I have a doc appt every day until egg retrieval, currently set for the 18th. The rest of the time, just me and B hanging out in Denver. I'm not allowed to do too much exercise, but I'm sure we'll go for some walks so I can show him what mountains are all about (since he is a MOUNTAIN dog!) He's gonna love it! Our friends from KC who are also going through IVF at CCRM will be there at the same time- only they will be getting 2 embryos transferred back! We are super excited for them- they are just the most amazing couple and they deserve to have this one work. We are pretty lucky to have another couple to hang out with at least for a couple of nights. Matt and I will leave the day after my retrieval and come back through Salina to pick up Cooper. We hope to be back in KC by the 20th. Then we begin the waiting game- how many eggs retrieved, how many fertilized, how many progressing, how many for genetic testing... etc. Then, we wait on test results- 6 long weeks, then even more time before we can transfer.
One. Step. At. A. Time. Deep breath. Here we go!

2 comments:

smc said...

good luck!

Midwest Nest said...

Thanks Scott! See you soon!